HOW TO USE CONNECTORS TO ADD CLARITY TO YOUR OET WRITING ?
LOOK HOW CONNECTORS ARE USED APTLY IN OET WRITING.
Role of Connectors, connectives or conjunctions in OET Writing plays a vital role. Connectors are an essential tool in OET Writing. They are used to convert sentences from simple to compound and complex to elicit a better meaning. The primary purpose of connectors is to join information together within a sentence. It links ideas from one sentence to the next. The use of apt connectors ensures clarity of meaning for readers to understand. Connectors are essential to professional writing and will have a dramatic impact on your writing score in OET.
WHERE TO USE CONNECTORS?
Connectors are used at the beginning, middle, and occasionally at the end of a sentence.
TYPES OF CONNECTORS ARE:
- Simple connectors (called conjunctions): They link two clauses. They are used primarily in the middle of a sentence. e.g., and, but, or, also, for.
- Complex connectors: They are used to connect a dependent and independent clause. You can use them at the start or in the middle of the sentence. e.g., however, therefore, although, unless, subsequently.
- Additional connectors: These connectors add extra information which is favourable to the previous ideas. They can be used at the beginning of the sentence. e.g., in addition, along with, as well as, therefore, as a result.
- Connectors for cause and effect: You must use a causal connective when something has happened because of another.For example, these are also quite common in OET writing to explain the cause of symptoms or impact of treatment. e.g. therefore, thus etc. To give an idea: As a result of the physiotherapy, the patient’s back pain has significantly reduced, therefore, a biliary ultrasound and LFTs were ordered.
- Contrast connectors: These connectors help to add extra information which is adverse to the previous ideas. E.g. however.
WHEN TO USE CONNECTORS?
Connectors provide additional information to the reader in OET writing. They can do this by emphasising contrasting meanings, adding reason or cause and showing succession. It also indicates.
- Addition and alternatives.
- Provides examples, clarify or identify.
- Points to similarity.
- Reflects contrasts contrast
- It gives cause and effect.
CONNECTORS TO BE AVOIDED IN OET WRITING:
Some connectors are not suitable for OET letter writing. These include:
- Academic connetors:furthermore, moreover (used in essay writing according to OET examiners)
- Informal connectors: besides, meanwhile, so.(doesn’t give a clear picture for a formal letter)
- Avoid the use of connector,’ additionally.’
- Avoid these connectors in OET when writing efficiently.
E.g. Furthermore, Mrs Sam will need to attend a follow-up appointment in 3 days. Instead of that, you may write as, Mrs Sam will need to attend a follow-up appointment in 3 days.
Especially in the medical profession, it is essential to explain the medical history and consequences correctly. The chronological arrangement of information helps a lot in the correct diagnosis.When you are writing a referral letter, it is essential to write to the timeline, which helps determine the patient’s condition and infer the right medical solutions for the patient.
TIPS TO USE CONNECTORS IN OET WRITING
- Connectors lead a crucial role in the OET writing subtest
- You shall learn to use them judiciously.
- It helps to join simple sentences using connectors to provide more information about the patient.
- Your sentences should be short and crispy.
- When you use connectors, the information becomes much clear for the readers.
- If your sentence is short and crisp and provides a clear cut picture, you may avoid using connectors.
- Better to avoid Simple connectors at the beginning
- Use a comma after ‘in addition”, ‘therefore’, ‘consequently’, ‘as a result, instead of using ‘in addition to that; we can also use ‘in addition; both makes the same sense.
- It would be best if you did not use connectors repeatedly.
LIST OF SENTENCE CONNECTORS IN OET WRITING AS PER THE SITUATIONS:
SIMILARITY: similarly, correspondingly, by the same token, in the same way, likewise.
CONTRAST: In contrast, conversely, however, yet, still, even so, in spite of this, despite that/this, On the other hand.
RESULT: accordingly, for this/that reason, therefore, as a result consequently, hence, thus, because of that/this, as a consequence.
ADDITION OR LISTING: Also, further, besides, in addition.
- Firstly: first of all, for one thing, to begin with, in the first place.
- Secondly: for another thing, second, in the second place.
- Thirdly: third, in the third-place.
- Finally: lastly, last of all.
TIME:Then, in the meantime, meanwhile, at first, afterwards, later.
EXEMPLIFICATION: For instance, for example, to illustrate.
PARTICULARIZATION: In particular, particularly, and specifically.
EXPLANATION: In other words, that is to say, that is, namely.
TRANSITION: As for, as to, as regards, regarding, as far as X is concerned, with regard to, with respect to .
CONCLUSION: In summary, in brief, to sum up, all in all, in short, in conclusion, to be brief.
In short, connectors help us to frame formal sentences.
To improve your knowledge level and the chance of succeeding in OET would be significantly high if you go along with the daily grammar challenge of Tiju’s Academy. If you want to participate in that, please go to the,
|Tiju’s Academy : The Best OET Online And Offline Training Institute In Kerala, India. For more details, Click Here: https://tijusacademy.com/contact/|