The IELTS Writing Task 2 may require you to describe the changes that have taken place on a map. This can be challenging, but it is essential to be clear and concise in your description.
Describing Map in IELTS
This blog post will discuss how to describe changes on an IELTS map. We will provide:
- Tips on reading the map.
- Identifying the changes.
- Writing a clear and concise description.
Read the map carefully
The first step is to read the map carefully and identify the key features. This includes the map’s title, the scale, and the symbols used. It is also important to note the north direction.
Identify the changes
Once you have read the map carefully, you need to identify the changes that have taken place. This could include changes in the physical features of the map, such as the addition or removal of rivers, lakes, or mountains. It could also include changes in the human-made elements of the map, such as the addition or subtraction of roads, railways, or cities.
Write a clear and concise description
When writing your description, it is essential to be clear and concise.It is recommended to avoid using too many technical terms or jargon.
- Start by giving a general overview of the map.
- Then, describe the changes in detail.
- Use specific vocabulary and transition words to help the reader understand the changes that have taken place.
- Use a logical order when describing the changes.
- Avoid using too much jargon.
- Proofread your work carefully.
Here are some examples of how to describe the changes that have taken place on a map in IELTS:
- The map shows the city of London in 1900 and 2023.
- In 1900, the River Thames ran through the centre of the city.
- However, in 2023, the river was diverted to the city’s north.
- The city has also grown significantly, with new suburbs and developments appearing on the outskirts.
- The map shows the development of a new highway system in the United States between 1950 and 2023.
- In 1950, there were only a few major highways in the country.
- However, by 2023, the highway system had expanded significantly, with highways connecting all major cities in the country.
- The new highways have significantly impacted the country’s development, making it easier for people to travel and businesses to transport goods.
- The map shows the changes that have taken place in the Amazon rainforest between 1970 and 2023.
- In 1970, the rainforest covered an area of approximately 5.5 million square kilometres.
- However, by 2023, the rainforest had shrunk to approximately 4.5 million square kilometres due to deforestation.
- The loss of the rainforest has significantly impacted the environment, as it is an essential source of oxygen and helps regulate the climate.
By following these tips, you can describe the changes that have taken place on a map in IELTS. This will help you to write a clear and concise description that will impress the examiner.
Hope this blog post has been helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below.